|MAIN АКИpress CA-News||About us On-line subscription|
Bishkek (AKIpress) - Rennie Harris Puremovement, a hip-hop dance company, and Gabriel Specter, a Brooklyn-based public artist, will be in Kyrgyzstan from May 12 to 17 as part of the Arts Envoy Program funded by the U.S. Department of State.
The Street Art Festival will be held on May 15 at Kurmanjan Datka park, the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek said.
Rennie Harris Puremovement is a hip hop dance company dedicated to preserving and disseminating hip hop culture through workshops, classes, hip-hop history lecture demonstrations, long term residencies, mentoring programs and public performances.
Gabriel Specter is a Brooklyn-based public artist recognized for a vast vocabulary of styles, subject matter and techniques. He takes an anthropological approach to his work contextualizing and recording the mundane and marginalized aspects of our lives.
During their week-long program, they will hold presentations and master classes with students, dancers and local artists in Bishkek, Osh and Kara-Balta to showcase contemporary music, dance and art.
Schedule of events:
- May 13, 5pm - RHPM performance at the House of Culture in Karabalta;
- May 14, 7pm - RHPM performance at the Kyrgyz National Opera and Ballet Theater;
- May 15, 10am to 5pm - participation in the Street Art Festival at Kurmanjan Datka park;
- May 16, 5pm - RHPM performance at Babur musical drama theater in Osh;
- May 17 - presentation of Gabriel Specter’s work at school-gymnasium #12 in Bishkek.