AKIPRESS.COM - Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Bengaluru on 8th January 2017, reports NDTV.
The 14th edition of the three-day event began in the country's IT hub on January 7 with the spotlight on the role of youth in transforming the society and India's potential to play the role of a 'Vishwa Guru' again.
Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa was the chief guest of the meet. The session was also attended by Suriname Vice President Michael Ashwin Adhin, Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel and Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's speech:
- Engagement with the overseas Indian community has been a key area of priority
- Pravasi divas a tribute to a great pravasi, Mahatma Gandhi
- There are over 30 million overseas Indians living abroad. They are not just respected for their numbers, but for the contributions they make
- NRIs and PIOs have made outstanding contributions to their chosen fields
- The Indian diaspora have contributed their best towards progress in that country.
- Remittance of close to sixty nine billion dollars annually by overseas Indians makes an invaluable contribution to the Indian economy
- When people spoke of brain drain, it was believed that the brighter people went abroad seeking employment opportunities… but we are converting that brain drain to brain gain
- The welfare and safety of all Indians abroad is our top priority
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has particularly been proactive and prompt in reaching out to distressed Indians abroad using social media
- We don't see the colour of passports, but the relations
written by blood.
- Indians have been abroad for many generations now…. I complement the way they have adjusted to make the best of both cultures… They make us proud.
- I welcome all young Pravasis… You must stay connected with India and return over and over again. This is your home.
- For me FDI has two definitions. One is 'Foreign Direct Investment' and the other is 'First Develop India'
- Last year 5000 Indians participated in know India quiz. This year I want to see 50,000.
- Know India programme started to reconnect PIOs with the country. 160 of them are here
- We want it to become a symbol of global migration, achievements & aspirations of the Diaspora