▲ Up
 akipress
16:22 20-08-2018
АКИpress CA-News Tazabek Turmush
ADVERTISE WITH US SUBSCRIBE
KazakhstanKyrgyzstanMongoliaTajikistanTurkmenistanUzbekistanWorld
POLITICSBUSINESSINCIDENTSSOCIETYCULTURESPORTANALYSISSCIENCE
akipress
Baby boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim
World | incidents | 12:43, 17 November 2017 | 783

AKIPRESS.COM - Two Colorado doctors claim they have documented the first case of a person dying from consuming too much marijuana, media reports say.

Drs. Thomas Nappe and Christopher Hoyte shared their findings in the journal, "Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine."

Nappe and Hoyte wrote in their study that the first person to die from a marijuana overdose was an 11-month-old boy.

The child, who died in 2015, was rushed to the emergency room after having a seizure. The boy's guardian told doctors that the child had been retching, was "irritable" and lethargic in the days leading up to his hospitalization.

A team of doctors, which included Hoyte and Nappe, examined the boy for medical conditions but found he was otherwise healthy, KUSA reports.

The child soon became unresponsive in the hospital and was given a breathing tube as his condition worsened.

The doctors said the boy's heart stopped and, despite efforts to resuscitate, the child died.

Following the death, doctors found the child's blood and urine contained tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, they wrote in the journal.

It was not revealed if anyone was prosecuted related to the child's death. 

© AKIpress News Agency - 2001-2018. All rights reserved
Republication of any material is prohibited without a written agreement with AKIpress News Agency. Any citation must be accompanied by a hyperlink to akipress.com.
Our address:
Moskovskaya str. 189, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic
e-mail: english@akipress.org, akipressenglish@gmail.com;
Tel/Fax: +996(312)65-03-06