▲ Up
 akipress
23:13 20-09-2018
АКИpress CA-News Tazabek Turmush
ADVERTISE WITH US SUBSCRIBE
KazakhstanKyrgyzstanMongoliaTajikistanTurkmenistanUzbekistanWorld
POLITICSBUSINESSINCIDENTSSOCIETYCULTURESPORTANALYSISSCIENCE
akipress
For Kyrgyzstan's Independence Day: Bishkek now and in the past
Kyrgyzstan | society | 09:46, 31 August 2018 | 3917

AKIPRESS.COM - August 31 is an important day in history of Kyrgyzstan. The country gained sovereignty 27 years ago.

материал Центрального государственного архива. Постановление о независимости

Bishkek was chosen a capital of the country. Important changes were made after that time. On 5 February 1991, Frunze was renamed into Bishkek.

материал Центрального государственного архива. Постановление об изменении названия столицы

For 27 years Bishkek experienced transformations. New multi-storey buildings, houses, shopping centers appeared. Soviet-era buildings contrast with the modern buildings. The photos below feature Bishkek in the past and now.


The National Philharmonic was built in 1980. No significant changes were made since that time.

Ala-Too central square. It was designed in 1979. The square witnessed replacement of two monuments for 27 years.

A circus building was commissioned in 1976. The fountain outside the circus stopped functioning.

Construction of the National Opera and Ballet Theater started in 1950-s. It was inaugurated on 15 May 1955. The theater building has been repaired recently.

Kozhomkul Sports Palace. It was built in 1974. A signing was added later.

Intersection of Adbrahmanov (former Sovietskaya) and Bokonbaev streets

Ala-Too movie theater was opened in 1938.

TSUM Aichurek was opened in 1974. The building exterior is reconstructed now.

The clock tower at the central post office. It was buit in September 1984. The clock still functions...

Mayor's office. It was built in 1957.

Shopping center Thousands of Things was built in 1978.

Apartment blocks on Chui Prospekt, 1986. New buildings appear now next to them.

Intesection of Prospekt Mira - 50 years of October. It is called now intersection of Aitmatov-Ahunbaev streets. The buildings remained the same.

Construction of the old airport started in 1954 and finished 2 years later. Until recent time, a public service center was accommodated there. Now the building is vacant. It is surrounded by new apartment buildings.

Monument to Fighters of Revoution was erected in 1978. Benches and lawns were changed.

© AKIpress News Agency - 2001-2018. All rights reserved
Republication of any material is prohibited without a written agreement with AKIpress News Agency. Any citation must be accompanied by a hyperlink to akipress.com.
Our address:
Moskovskaya str. 189, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic
e-mail: english@akipress.org, akipressenglish@gmail.com;
Tel/Fax: +996(312)65-03-06