|АКИpress CA-News Tazabek Turmush||ADVERTISE WITH US SUBSCRIBE|
AKIPRESS.COM - China has confirmed it is holding the missing head of Interpol, Meng Hongwei.
Beijing said he was under investigation by the country's anti-corruption body for unspecified breaches of the law. Mr Meng, also a vice-minister of public security in China, was reported missing after travelling from the city of Lyon in France, where Interpol is based, to China on 25 September, BBC report.
Interpol said it had received his resignation from the presidency on Sunday with immediate effect. Meanwhile Mr Meng's wife, Grace Meng, has told reporters that her husband sent her a knife emoji in a social media message on the day he went missing. She said her husband's case would be under the scrutiny of "international law and international public opinion".
On Monday, after days of speculation about Mr Meng's whereabouts, China's National Supervision Commission said in a statement that he was under investigation. The commission handles corruption cases involving public servants.
Mr Meng is the latest high-profile disappearance in China, where a number of top government officials, billionaires and even an A-list celebrity have vanished in recent months. Last week, actress Fan Bingbing, who disappeared in China in July, emerged with a public apology and a fine of 883 million yuan ($129m; £98.9m) for tax evasion and other offences.
But correspondents say that Mr Meng's high-profile position at Interpol was once seen as a prize for Beijing, raising questions about whom he might have angered or what he might have done to be targeted as part of President Xi Jinping's sweeping anti-corruption campaign.