AKIPRESS.COM - The case of a decorated Indian army veteran who was hauled off to a detention camp after being declared a "foreigner" under a controversial measure is due to be taken up by a higher court on Friday. BBC Hindi's Vineet Khare reports on how this has outraged India, BBC reports.
It was the evening of 27 May and Mohd Sanaullah, 52, had just reached his home in Guwahati in the north-eastern Indian state of Assam, when he got a call from the local police superintendent's office.
The man on the other end of the line told Mr Sanaullah that the state's foreigners tribunal had declared him a "foreigner" four days ago and asked him to report there.
"He knew what lay ahead," Mr Sanaullah's lawyer and son-in-law, Shahidul Islam, who was with him in Guwahati at the time of his arrest, told the BBC.
He spent the night in police custody.
Mr Sanaullah is one of four million people who was left off the latest draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) published last year. The NRC was first created in 1951 to determine who was born in India and who might be a migrant from neighbouring, Muslim-majority East Pakistan, now known as Bangladesh.